Templates in LicenseSpot allows you create predefined recipes of how a license should be created. For example, if you need to have a trial license in your app, you’ll first start by creating a template and then adding a Trial limit to it. You might also need some custom properties for that license like for example a version number for your app or the computer name where the app is installed. You’ll add this information at the template level too.
After you’re done configuring the template, you can then create licenses based on it. When you go to licenses and select Add a New License, you first need to pick the template to be used and then you’ll see information about the limits and the custom properties field now ready to be filled out. Also templates allows licenses to be created from the LicenseSpot REST API by just specifying a template id and a customer id.
Configuring a Template
- Product: in this field, indicate to what product this template will apply. You can have unlimited products configured in LicenseSpot and each can have a trial template so this helps in categorization.
- Key Pair: this indicates what key pair will be used when creating a license. Key pairs are used to digitally sign license files. Most of the time you’ll use the default one but you can create more key pairs if you need license files created with one template not readable by other templates.
- On Create Email: indicate here what email template to use when a license is created with this template. This email for example can be a notification to the customer about their license and the serial number.
- On Activation Email: indicate what email template to use when license is activated.
- On Revoke Email: indicate what email template to use when license is revoked.
In the limits section is where you configure the restrictions that your app will have. You can combine as many limits as needed to create the rules for your software.